Having explored MySpace, Facebook, LinkedIn and Eons, I created an account in Facebook. Boy, did they have a lengthy 'Terms of Use Policy!' And...I could not access most of their 'Help' pages without first creating an account.
I know that my children have enjoyed these social networking websites for years and that electronic communication is our future - if not already our present. Any discomfort that I'm feeling right now with these initial forays into these (new for me) technologies, I'm trying to equate with those feelings I have with every move I've had to make in my life. (And there have been many of those!) The unknown can be very scary. However, there are so many wonderful people and memorable experiences that I would have never known had I not made those moves that I realize that I will look upon these present explorations as the exciting springboard to a future that I could never have imagined.
I know that my children have enjoyed these social networking websites for years and that electronic communication is our future - if not already our present. Any discomfort that I'm feeling right now with these initial forays into these (new for me) technologies, I'm trying to equate with those feelings I have with every move I've had to make in my life. (And there have been many of those!) The unknown can be very scary. However, there are so many wonderful people and memorable experiences that I would have never known had I not made those moves that I realize that I will look upon these present explorations as the exciting springboard to a future that I could never have imagined.
(Photo of walrus - a face only a mother could love - taken 14 February 2009 at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Tacoma, WA.)

Ask Chrissie to share the article from the Seattle Times about 'De-friending your Dad' on Facebook.
ReplyDelete