Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thing 14 - Podcasts





Through the 'Library Success Wiki,' I accessed a couple of podcasts through the WSU Libraries. The first one was from the Geology Library - basically, a 25 minute recording of a class with two instructors discussing how to find and evaluate information on historical geology. The class had papers to look at which, of course, I did not have. (These papers were referred to and rustled almost continuously.) The acoustics were terrible. This was a good example of what not to do in creating a podcast. The second selection was just two and a half minutes on the basics of "how to select search terms for more effective searching of library catalogs, indexes, and the internet." This one was worth the 'listen.' It was succinct. It was geared to an audio audience. The words were clearly enunciated, the voice well modulated. Both of these podcasts were audio only.



Browsing the 'Learn Out Loud' podcast directory, I selected a podcast on a Spanish lesson on 'Rolling R's.' I was really looking forward to maybe picking up some new techniques on teaching someone this not-so-intuitive skill. Instead, I got 'Negative Tu Commands.' Later, I realized that 'Rolling R's' is the name of the website/company of the person who created this podcast and, to see more than a 'free sample,' you must become a member and pay for the subscription to his podcasts. This sample had both audio and video.



In the podcast directory 'Podcast Alley,' I found under 'Education: Learn Jazz Piano' the UK website of Paul Abraham. This was audio only but was very easy to follow probably due to wonderful acoustics and his lovely accent. I added this podcast to my Google Reader.



I have listened to podcasts for years; however, I don't have any experience with creating podcasts. I do prefer audio-video podcasts over audio-only podcasts. I do strongly believe that this would be a useful tool for Sno-Isle Libraries. However, with the number of ESL patrons, young patrons and patrons who are intimidated by computers, I think that instructional podcasts that include video as well as audio would be the most successful. These podcasts could answer common computer use questions, show how to make an advanced search in the catalog, and demonstrate how to use our databases (and that they even exist!).



Now, for a cup of tea...Constant Comment sounds about right...

No comments:

Post a Comment