Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thing 16 - Online Applications and Tools


ZOHO
Work.online



And I thought that a wiki was easy to use. I am now totally enamored with Google Docs (http://documents.google.com/) and, particularly, Zoho (www.zoho.com) - with its wider range of software! The enthusiasm that I have had for the possibilities for wikis, I must now transfer to the online applications and tools we learned about in this lesson. They have just so much more to offer than a wiki! More templates, more import options, more export options, more print options. These look and feel like the same documents that you create with Microsoft Office Suite. In Zoho, the 'Spell Check' feature is available in 75+ languages! Zoho also has a 'Work Offline' feature where changes are synced with the online version once you are 'switched' back online. (What an answer to power outages, disruptions with internet service, and slow processing when multiple users are using the same wireless connection!)

I can see small businesses flocking to these online applications. Both small and medium sized businesses could particularly make use of the additional applications, provided by Zoho, of Invoicing, Database Creation, and Applicant Tracking System.

My main concern with some of these online applications is in the 'publishing' of sensitive information that might be included on payroll spreadsheets, etc. How easy is it to 'hack' into all this online data?





No comments:

Post a Comment