
Wow! What a ride! We are certainly an ‘on the go’ society. I know that technology changes human behavior over time. Our young people seem to take to being ‘wired’ by osmosis while most older people will need ‘wired’ training. Will our young people need to be trained in ‘non-wired’ communication techniques?
What will we hear about ‘Social Networking Fatigue?’
What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
Working on this project with a small group of co-workers definitely created an enjoyable camaraderie and bond as we got to know one another through our questions and our blog posts. As with the others in our group, I absolutely love listening to and discovering new music through Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/)!
How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I feel much more confident about discussing and helping people with some of these ‘social networking’ tools. Since we are in the information business, we need to know about and feel comfortable with these new communication techniques. The structured presentation made investigating these ‘Things’ both easy and fun!
What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
I appreciated being able to work on this at home – mostly, on my own time. Having to watch the clock and getting constant interruptions at work would have decreased significantly my joy in working through these lessons. It would have been less stressful, however, to have a week to work on each lesson instead of having to often complete two lessons a week. (Vacation time off and other personal commitments made it difficult for most in our group to take these lessons to the depth desired and provided for in some of the links – making it frustrating, at best.) I believe that it is also important to remember that ‘starting’ a new project takes more time and support resources than once you get a rhythm going and have identified your 'go to' people and places.
If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again choose to participate?
Absolutely! Yes!! Even though I already had some knowledge of many of the elements presented in these lessons, the breadth and depth of this organized Web 2.0 presentation made me look at things that I had previously resisted (Facebook and Flickr), gave me additional information and possibilities that would have taken much more time to discover on my own (Search Engines and Online Applications/ Tools), and created a bond that I truly value with certain co-workers.
Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
Yes. I was surprised to find Google at almost every turn. And, after having read that Google is making a bid for Twitter (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/Loud-Whispers-Hint-at-Google-Twitter-Deal-66726.html), I find myself, along with many of my co-workers, wondering...
Will Google rule the world?


What will we hear about ‘Social Networking Fatigue?’
What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
Working on this project with a small group of co-workers definitely created an enjoyable camaraderie and bond as we got to know one another through our questions and our blog posts. As with the others in our group, I absolutely love listening to and discovering new music through Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/)!
How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I feel much more confident about discussing and helping people with some of these ‘social networking’ tools. Since we are in the information business, we need to know about and feel comfortable with these new communication techniques. The structured presentation made investigating these ‘Things’ both easy and fun!
What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
I appreciated being able to work on this at home – mostly, on my own time. Having to watch the clock and getting constant interruptions at work would have decreased significantly my joy in working through these lessons. It would have been less stressful, however, to have a week to work on each lesson instead of having to often complete two lessons a week. (Vacation time off and other personal commitments made it difficult for most in our group to take these lessons to the depth desired and provided for in some of the links – making it frustrating, at best.) I believe that it is also important to remember that ‘starting’ a new project takes more time and support resources than once you get a rhythm going and have identified your 'go to' people and places.
If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again choose to participate?
Absolutely! Yes!! Even though I already had some knowledge of many of the elements presented in these lessons, the breadth and depth of this organized Web 2.0 presentation made me look at things that I had previously resisted (Facebook and Flickr), gave me additional information and possibilities that would have taken much more time to discover on my own (Search Engines and Online Applications/ Tools), and created a bond that I truly value with certain co-workers.
Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
Yes. I was surprised to find Google at almost every turn. And, after having read that Google is making a bid for Twitter (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/Loud-Whispers-Hint-at-Google-Twitter-Deal-66726.html), I find myself, along with many of my co-workers, wondering...
Will Google rule the world?





















Well stated Linda....
ReplyDeleteIsn't it a little disturbing to feel more and more dependent on the technological world..and... that one company has control over so many tools that we use?
Oh well, I have definitely learned a lot and my biggest lesson is that I have just scratched the surface of web 2.0 knowledge.
I especially loved your comment regarding possible future needs to train people in "non-wired" communication techniques. And the Google toolbox is certainly an apt icon for the Web 2.0 course, isn't it? Fun chatting with you today on, what else?, GMAIL!!!
ReplyDelete